Thursday, January 28, 2016

Oversharing!

I'm a little amused by this assignment, because I'm already in the habit of oversharing about sexuality on the internet.


Anyway, here's a funny story related to our discussion yesterday about the sources of our sexual education. When I was around 3 or 4 and I asked my mom the age old "where do babies come from" question, my mother (who is, I might add, a nurse, and should have known better IMO) told me that babies were created by something called a "special hug," which men and women did only after they were married, and involved a piece of the man's penis breaking off inside the woman and going into her tummy to make the baby.

Once again, my mother is a nurse.

Also, I'm not sure how she managed this but she somehow described the whole thing in such a way that I thought that this "special hug" was only ever undertaken once, in a couple's entire adult life, and that it was done at their wedding in front of all their friends and family.

I believed this well up into elementary school.

So... yeah. Overall I think it's best to be honest with kids about sex and not sugar coat things or give things silly names. The first time I heard the word "sex," I thought it was just some extra special kind of kissing. Thank god it never happened, but I was naive enough that some predatory adult could have used all the things I didn't know against me.

Another thing that I started thinking about was the fact that almost none of the "official" sources I had for sex ed (aka my parents, the sex ed I received in school, etc) ever bothered to talk about how to have good sex. I don't remember the word "orgasm" ever coming up ("ejaculation" sure did though), and when we were made to label diagrams of female anatomy, we never labeled the clitoris. Consent, even, was only barely touched on.

I think, in some ways, that can be blamed for some of the truly, truly disappointing sex I had later on in my life, when I first started being sexual and having sex. I'm sure I'll get to ramble on about all that in later posts, and this one is already too long.

But also! Friends and fellow classmates, if you don't already know there is a blogger app you can put on your phone! That might be helpful for some of us, I don't know, just thought I'd pass it along. Here's a gif from my favorite cartoon. Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment