Thursday, January 28, 2016

Learning About Sex Then and Now


Sex education for me was not accurate or positive to say the least. My parents were the kind that at 12 handed me a book about my body and sex. However, they also made sure to let me know that masturbation is a sin, having sex before marriage sends you to hell, and women should obey men.

Needless to say I had a very warped view of sex. It took a long time to unravel all of the misinformation I was taught and learn to love myself despite my parents disapproval of the person I am.

One way my lack of sexual education manifested for me was through my sheer terror of getting pregnant or contracting an STI and the hatred I had for my own "unusual" sexual desires. I had been given basic information, like pregnancy can occur through sexual intercourse or STIs can be contracted through sexual activity especially if it is unprotected. However, I still had very little information besides that. I was convinced I was going to become pregnant or contract a venereal disease because of a punishment from god for being a terrible sexually active 16 year old girl.

It wasn't until I left for college and got away from my childhood home that I started to seek out information about responsible sexual practices and alternative sexual lifestyles. Once I left the toxic environmental bubble I learned that god isn't going to smite me for having sex (and actually believe that now), and how to have safe responsible sex. I learned that I wasn't the only person in the world that didn't fit into the box of "average" sexual desires and to love myself anyway.

I am now a happy bisexual woman who is a submissive, masochist, little, brat within the BDSM community (if you have no idea what any of that means, I will post linked definitions at the bottom). I am proud of the complete 180 I have made in embracing my own sexuality and sexual desires.

I am so excited for the opportunity to learn even more in this class. To continue to unravel all of the misinformation I was taught for so long. To learn how to teach my own children an accurate comprehensive sex positive education that I was not so fortunate to get.

-AnarchaSub


http://bdsmwiki.info/Submissive
http://bdsmwiki.info/Masochist
http://bdsmwiki.info/Bratting
http://submissivefeminist.tumblr.com/post/105728181308/ddlg-stands-for-daddy-dom-little-girl-while

No comments:

Post a Comment