Friday, February 26, 2016

Lesbian Movie Response

          I really enjoyed the movie that we watched in class. I think it was a good introductory movie because I see that we'll be talking about sexual orientation soon in class. I really liked how the movie focused on lesbians, because I feel like they don't get as much attention in the media as gay men do. The first story was extremely sad and I felt so bad for that old woman. She had just lost the love of her life and she had to pretend that their relationship was nothing more than a friendship. Then she basically got booted out of their home and lost most of the girlfriend's possessions to practically strangers. I know that some people will still want to keep their realtionship a secret, but I'm glad that in today's society gay and lesbian couples can marry so that they still have rights to their partners property and whatnot if their spouse dies. The second story made me extremely mad because of that one scene where they practically forced that girl to try on a more "feminine shirt". I've heard of alot of bigotry within the LGBTQIA community and I feel like it makes no sense because you're all on the same side. So for them to be so judgmental towards her just because she wanted to dress more masculine made absolutely no sense. The last story I of course found great because I'm a huge Ellen fan. I also liked how it was Ellen and Portia, who are actually a couple in real life. It made the situation and story seem more realistic. I'm not sure if that's something they actually had to go through, but it was an interesting and realistic situation.

3 comments:

  1. It was actually Sharon Stone, not Portia. :) And I thought they split up, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No that was just a rumor, they applied a dog together last month.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete