Thursday, February 4, 2016

Response to Rape Rally Announcement

There was a class announcement about the "Rally to Legalize Rape" in class yesterday.

My first reaction was "REALLY??? This is for real?  This has to be a joke... Is this real life?"

I went home and told my betrothed, who I am going to refer to as B (I hate the word fiance... it is just weird to say) about this and he looked at me like I was crazy.  We actually had to look it up because the idea was so ridiculous.

We did a search for 'San Antonio Rape Rally' and it is a real thing.  They call themselves 'Return of Kings.'  Let's just talk for a minute how terrible that name is.  The first thing that I though of was they were huge Lord of the Rings nerds, but then when me and B started talking about it, we concluded that it goes back to the days where the King could sleep with whoever he wanted and it was ok because he was the king.  I don't see these guys being anywhere close to resembling a king.

Which leads me to who is actually in this group,  Who is in this group?  Did 5 super drunk ex frat bros that got together one night in their mom's basement that they have lived in for the past 3 years and had a conversation where they overuse the word "Yo" and "Bro" and any other cliche words/phrases that one might use?  (I am not saying that all frat guys are like this, my mind just goes there.  I am not trying to offend anyone).  How many of these guys (or girls, you never know) are there that are like "Yeah!  Rape!  Let's do that!"  And then go outside in very public places and call for the legalization of rape?  This concept just isn't working for me.  It lacks reason and logic.

I am not going to lie, I kind of wanted to go down there and see how many people actually showed up and what exactly this would look like.  Again, my mind just isn't grasping this whole idea, or that it is a real thing. 

I went back online this morning and found out that 'Return of Kings' has cancelled their rally "after international criticism from thousands, including government leaders."  Does anyone know of any government leaders that would be like "YES! You guys are right!  Let's do this!"?

I think Greg Abbott had it right saying "This pathetic group and their disgusting viewpoints are not welcome in Texas," says Abbott.

This is just so weird.  I am at a lost for words. There are people who do/say a lot of ridiculous things, but again.... SERIOUSLY? I guess this goes under freedom of speech?  I don't want to get political and whatnot because that is not something I do, but WOW... just wow!

If you would like to read more about this:

4 comments:

  1. It's a little surreal to me that this all has gotten the wide attention that it has (surreal in a good way) because I've been aware of and sort of following Roosh V and his ilk for years now. www.wehuntedthemammoth.com is a blog that follows and documents the "Men's Rights Activism" movement, or "MRAs." They claim to be a group of people concerned for the rights of men, but really they're hateful misogynists that simply hate feminism and hate that there are now laws to better protect women from violence. The Southern Poverty Law center classifies them as a hate group.

    Some of the mainstream media outlets rather simplified what these meetings were, though. Roosh V writes "Pick Up Artist" guides (specifically the extremely coercive type) and has styled himself as something of a Men's Rights ideologue on his site, Return of Kings (he also, rather hilariously, wants really badly to be a mover and shaker in the White Nationalist movement, but as he's Iranian, most White Nationalists shun him). He did once write an article for his site in which he suggested that it should be the law that a woman who agrees to enter onto a man's private property has basically consented to any and all sex acts he chooses. The meetings that were planned weren't specifically to discuss trying to turn this law into reality, but they WERE meant to be gatherings of Roosh V's fans and followers, undoubtedly all MRAs, misogynists, rape apologists, and in general the scum of the earth. I can see why "Rape Legalization Rally" caught on in the press (most who heard the term "Men's Rights Activist" probably wouldn't assume they're as bad as they are, which is precisely why the group uses that term), but it's really a much broader thing. Most of these men believe women shouldn't vote, work, or seek higher education, they believe most women lie about being raped and that domestic violence is justified. I doubt these meetings would have attracted more than a tiny handful of people each (all other attempts by MRAs to publicly gather have had similar results) but it's still scary to think about these people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are advocating that men are superior to women and if a man decides to rape a woman on private property that should not be an issue. Still absolutely DISGUSTING and barbaric. Basically that is how they justified it, that women aren't really people so if a man wants to rape a woman on his own property the government shouldn't get involved and it shouldn't be a problem. Makes me scared and sick that there are people like this. Since you were curious as to how they even rationalized it though, that is basically how.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are advocating that men are superior to women and if a man decides to rape a woman on private property that should not be an issue. Still absolutely DISGUSTING and barbaric. Basically that is how they justified it, that women aren't really people so if a man wants to rape a woman on his own property the government shouldn't get involved and it shouldn't be a problem. Makes me scared and sick that there are people like this. Since you were curious as to how they even rationalized it though, that is basically how.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're totally right about the King thing.

    I don't know if this is the exact origin of the work fuck, but in middle school my teacher told us that it was an acronym for Fornication Under Consent of the King.
    Where it was the King's decision what women he could bring to the bedroom.

    ReplyDelete