Thursday, February 4, 2016

Sex, marriage and babies

On Monday someone mentioned that when they were a kid they were told that kids came from marriage. That reminded me of something I was told when I was younger. When I was about 8 I was playing with dolls and I started pretending that the doll was going to have a baby. At that point my parents told me that the doll could only have kids if she was married. I asked if she could have babies if she wasn't married and they said no. I then told them that when I grew up I wanted to have a baby but I did not want to be married, I just wanted a kid on my own. They completely freaked out at that thought and said that it was impossible to do such a thing. Obviously I didn't know that sex would lead to a baby not the marriage itself. So for a while if I knew of a woman that had a baby but wasn't married I was really confused as to how that worked. I think my parents should have told me the real way babies are made and just explained their beliefs about marriage on the side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment