Wednesday, February 24, 2016

studying the vulva and vagina.

It was both comical and inspiring to walk into class on exam day to see a room full of people studying the vulva diagram. It's not often to see that. A girl, sitting down, her eyes focused on the vagina and each of it's individual parts. I couldn't help but laugh. Then it took to think about how awesome this class is. I mean, I already knew that. But it was another reminder.
I think it's so important that a woman knows her vagina and how each part functions.

A few weeks ago I was babysitting. More like just picking these kids up from school since it's two girls, ages 12 and 14. The younger of the two had her menarche in December. We were talking about pads versus tampons. At this early start in her puberty she has only used pads. She said something though that alarmed me. "I don't even know where that hole is." She was refering to the vaginal opening where a tampon is inserted. I didn't know what to say. But it showed me how they do not teach the body anatomy in schools. Another issue in our sex education. It reminded me of how I too did not know how to insert a tampon for a long time. I try not to parent too much since I am not her mom and her mother may have plans to show her about her body. I do hope that her mind grows curious and that she explores her body. Because a woman should know, and men should too frankly.

No comments:

Post a Comment