Friday, February 5, 2016

Thoughts on "What If We Admitted to Children Sex Is Primarily About Pleasure?"

Alright, I'm going to be perfecting honest here, I didn't like the article. Now it wasn't due to the content or anything, I actually believe we shouldn't sugar coat sex and reproduction with children. But geez I really hated how that women talked about herself and her son! Like her son was just so knowledgeable of everything and was worlds ahead of the other kids his age (like the battery example). And how she is just so naturally open and honest that gasp! everyone is just completely shocked by how progressive and candid she speaks. It was just super annoying. Other than that, I did enjoy the topic of the article. Although I definitely want to be honest with my future children when they come to me with questions, I don't think I would be as candid as she was with her child. For example, she really went into detail explaining the period thing to her son, and if it were me I would simply explain that it was a period and that once a month females release an egg which leads to bleeding for a week. I wouldn't go as in depth as she did because it isn't necessary. Like I said, I'm all for teaching children things, but I just don't think it's necessary to go super into detail like she did. I mean, sure if the kid keeps asking why after you give him a basic explanation, go into more detail. But I feel like going into as much detail as she did (for example with the short penis/big clitoris thing) just isn't necessary for someone that age. I mean, it's not like most 9 year olds are discussing inter-sexed individuals during their lunch period. You just have to be mindful of what information should be shared at what age. And this isn't because a 9 year old will be scarred from this advanced information, it's just that someone that age will be just fine without such an in depth answer. You're going into detail for no reason. You wouldn't go in depth about the theory of evolution to a 4 year old. I don't know, I don't see anything wrong with sharing such detailed information, I just don't see the point when an anatomically correct, yet general response would work just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment