Thursday, February 11, 2016

Week 3- Contraceptives

The discussion about contraceptives was really informative and actually pretty interesting. It made me reflect back to when I first got put on the pill and I realized that I really didn't get any sort of information about all the other different types of birth control. I guess I just chose the pill because it seemed like the simplest and most known type of contraceptive to be used. I didn't even try to get any information about other alternatives and I wish I had. Don't get me wrong, I've been on the pill for about 5 years and it has been very good to me but I still wish that I had been more educated about all the other types of contraceptives that women can use. The pill can sometimes be annoying, having to take it every day at the same time. My mom is always reminding me that I was conceived even though she was on the pill so it can be nerve wrecking knowing how careful you have to be. I have friends that use other forms of birth control and it's interesting to know that each contraceptive can work differently for every person.

After learning more about the different type of contraceptives, I talked with my friend Nathan about it. I wasn't surprised to find out that he had little to no education about anything other than condoms. He went on to tell me that he doesn't even like to use them and I guess just relies on the hopes of the girl to be on some sort of birth control (dumb, I know).  He seemed to be the most freaked out about the idea of a female condom. It's cool that women have that as a choice to use but I guess since not many guys are as educated when it comes to contraceptives, it's harder for them to understand.

To sum it up, I think it is important that everyone gets the proper education about each and every type of contraceptive that way they can make the best decision for themselves.





No comments:

Post a Comment