Friday, March 4, 2016

This week

Personally, I've never had a close relationship with anyone that was a part of the LGBTQIA community until recently when my cousin opened up to me about being gay. I wasn't sure how I should react or what I should say. I just knew I didn't want to offend him or hurt his feelings. After all, it was the very first time I'd had this type of conversation with someone. I think more than anything I was sad... Sad that he felt the afraid, that he felt I might judge him for being gay. No one should have to feel this way. I support him 100% and am glad that he is no longer denying himself.  The reflection Professor Stone read out loud to us was definitely an eye-opener... I couldn't imagine having my partner in the hospital not being able to see them because the law says I do not deserve that right...or feeling like I can't introduce the love of my life to my family in fear of judgement. I'm glad that over the past week I've been able to learn more about issues in the LGBTQIA community.

No comments:

Post a Comment