Friday, April 15, 2016

I have been thinking a lot about the topic of discussing sexuality with kids. I work with middle schoolers, so it's something that comes up a lot since many of my students are just in the beginning stages of puberty. One thing that frustrates me is knowing what I can or can't say to them regarding LGBT topics. Because I'm not their parents or related to them in any way, I have to be careful. I'm queer, and I work with kids in Texas, and that's a somewhat precarious position to be. Something as benign as "gay people are normal and you shouldn't be mean to them" could get me in trouble, if it's repeated to the right sort of homophobic parent. It also hurts me a little, because I can't talk about my partners at work. My coworkers often talk about their boyfriends or husbands, but I can't mention the girls I date. It hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment