Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Panel

Today's panel was very good! It was definitely emotional and heartbreaking to hear everyone's stories. Thank you so much to all of the panelists for sharing your stories and being vulnerable with the class. I think one of the most heartbreaking parts for me was talking about faith and spirituality. As a christian, my heart broke for the way for the way the bible was used in a negative way. I spent three years working for a nonprofit christian organization and was pretty traumatized by the teachings there. It became very controlling and I started to believe that I did not have choice and God was a puppet master and I was a puppet. I had to go to counseling and re-evaulate my faith completely. For me, I grew from it and still call myself a christian. I just saw firsthand how people use their faith to abuse and hurt other people. When the panelist was crying about her mom not leaving her dad (do not remember her name), I felt very angry at the way christians misuse their faith. I can totally relate to not wanting to go to church (I still do not go to one after my experience). I want to say that them sharing their experiences makes such a difference in individuals' lives. Some people in the room have walked through similar circumstances or are in the midst of those circumstances. For me, that is what the church is meant to be and what God intended it for. I am so thankful that I got to hear their stories and are inspired by all of their courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment