Friday, April 22, 2016

Response to panel question

This past panel was definitely the most moving in my opinion. It almost brought me to tears more than once. I thought it was really brave whoever asked the question about leaving her abuser. I thought the panels responses as well as the classes were very good ones. One thing I thought of after class was that my perspective could have been valuable as well. My mom and dad were in an abusive relationship and they got divorced when I was 4. I don't remember them ever living together because I was so young when they divorced. I have never regretted them getting divorced ever! I could not even imagine them staying together, they would have fought ALL THE TIME and I doubt I would have ever been happy. I have good memories with both my mom and dad, just separately. I saw my dad on weekends and after he went to AA and got sober, I was able to spend whole weeks with him. My point is, I strongly believe that you should never stay with someone who hurts you or abuses you. Children model behavior, and it's not a good idea to expose children to that violence or mental abuse. It may be more complicated to leave with a child but it will be better in the end. Not everyones situation is the same, but anyone who is dealing with this issue, please talk to someone and seek help! My mom is now the director of the family violence court ordered classes for Travis county. She is a survivor and by leaving my dad my dad was able to eventually realize and seek help for his problems as well. Just wanted to share a piece of my story and let anyone in this situation know that there is a way out and there is lots of support out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment